European Car Insurance

Several holidaymakers like to take their UK cars to Europe to visit countries like France, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, Germany and Italy. Call Wiser can help you get European car cover for up to 90 days.

Free roadside assistance breakdown cover
Free handbag and gadget cover
Free 24/7 claims assistance
UK call centres

Do You Need Insurance To Drive In Europe?

Yes, it is a legal requirement to have insurance if you are driving on the road in a UK car. With the Eurotunnel and ferries, it has never been easier to drive across the channel and into Europe for business or holiday.

But you must check the small print of your current insurance policy as not having enough cover can be hugely expensive if you are involved in an accident abroad.

There are several reasons why there is an increase in risk when driving in Europe such as:

  • Driving on the other side of the road
  • Different driving rules and signs
  • Unfamiliar roads and routes
  • Adverse weather conditions

The European Union countries

More Information

  • What Cover Is Available?

    By having a UK insurance policy, you are automatically given third party insurance to drive in 30 EU countries and some non-EU countries. To see the list of countries, read our guide on driving abroad.

    With third party cover, you are only insured for damages to other people and their vehicles and you will not be able to claim for personal injuries or damages to your own vehicle.

    Depending on your insurer, you may be given 30 days or more fully comprehensive cover to drive in Europe.

    If you need to your extend your insurance for longer than the standard cover, you can simply contact us for continuous cover.

    If you only need to be insured for a few days, such as a weekend to Paris, we also give you the option to apply for temporary car insurance too.

    By taking out a policy with Call Wiser, we will include UK roadside assistance breakdown cover for free and mobile phone, gadget, handbag and wallet cover with claim assistance too.

    We are proud to offer a more personal approach to purchasing insurance by encouraging you to speak to our team of friendly advisors over the phone. This allows us to get to know exactly what you need for your upcoming trip and find the best price for your needs. By comparing the quotes from a panel of the UK’s leading insurers, we can find the best European car insurance policy and get you ready for your big trip.

    All calls are free from UK landlines and mobiles. Based in Andover, Hampshire, we have a team of insurance experts that are ready to take your call today.

  • What You Need To Drive In Europe

    Europe has different driving rules and regulations depending on the country you visit. So as well as packing your holiday clothes and sunscreen, you need to think about what you need to add to your car to make.

    • As mentioned, you will need to have a green card or your Certificate of Motor Insurance available in the car.
    • Unless your car has new euro plates, you will need to add a GB sticker to your car to show that you are from the UK. You can buy these stickers for a few pounds at the port before you leave the English Channel.
    • In France, it is mandatory to have a red warning triangle, reflective vest, first aid kit and spare bulbs in your car at all times so you are visible and prepared in the event of an accident.
    • You may need to spend a few pounds on changing your car lights. As your UK car will be a right-hand drive, you run the risk of blinding oncoming vehicles that drive on the right. If you have quite a new car, your lights should adjust, otherwise you should spend a few pounds on anti-dazzle deflectors or Eurolites, as they are also known.
    • As you prepare for a long journey, make sure that you car has had a recent MOT and that the car’s oil, water and windscreen washed is topped up – as trying to find a mechanic in another country and the language barrier might prove difficult.
    • With different road signs, make yourself familiar beforehand with the different rules of the road in Europe. You will need to watch your speed on the roads as the national limit will vary between countries and you must not forget that the signs will refer to kilometers, not miles.

  • Do You Need A Green Card To Drive In Europe?

    Car insurers provide the green card as a certificate to prove that you have cover to drive legally in Europe. Governments and insurers initially set up the green card insurance system so it would be easier for motorists to cross borders and allow any traffic accidents between natives and visitors to be resolved quickly.

    The green card used to be a requirement in 40 countries but since the establishment of the EU, it is no longer compulsory and only a few countries may request it at border control. Some insurers refer to it as ‘green cover’ and a card is available upon request for free.

    In addition, motorists should keep their Certificate of Motor Insurance with them in the car at all time as this confirms in five languages that you have the necessary insurance to drive in any EU member state.

Don’t Forget Your Home Insurance!

If you are leaving your home for more than 31 days, you may not be able to claim compensation from your insurer in the event of burglaries, vandalism or flooding.

So if you are going on a long trip and will be away for a long period of time, make sure you apply for unoccupied home insurance.

Customer Reviews

Frequently Asked Questions

You may also be interested in

Short Term & Temporary Car Insurance

Call us for a quote:
0800 298 2190

Multi Car Insurance

Call us for a quote:
0800 298 2190

Hire Vehicle Cover

Call us for a quote:
0800 298 2190

Car Windscreen Insurance Cover

Call us for a quote:
0800 298 2190
Feefo badge
Get an online quote